Differentiating between Milling Machines – Vertical Vs. Horizontal
Milling refers to the process that involves the removal of excess metal from a workpiece, using cutting tools, to obtain a specific end product in a bulky and sturdy yet compact piece of machinery called a milling machine.
While all milling machines incorporate this general principle when operating, there are milling machines that deviate from the specifics yet follow the fundamental process of chipping away at the excess metal to supply the desired product.
- Based on their unique characteristics, there exist broad categories of commonly used manual milling machines. Here, we shall focus on the general characteristics that separate a vertical manual milling machine from a horizontal manual milling machine.
Vertical Milling Machine
- A highly preferred option among the manufacturing companies, the commonly used manual vertical milling machine comprises a vertically oriented spindle and as such, moves along the vertical axis during operations.
- The spindle can have the capability to hold either a single cutting tool or multiple cutting tools, making it more efficient and productive.
- The cutting tools are held firmly by the spindle and rotated against the stationary workpiece, chipping away at the extra material to obtain the desired end product.
Horizontal Milling Machine
- Often preferred during the need for heavier operations, the roughly used manual horizontal milling machine differs in its orientation of the spindle when compared to its counterpart, the vertical milling machine. The spindle lies horizontally; thereby the cutting tools move along the horizontal axes.
- With the horizontal milling machine, the cutting tools utilized are more sturdy and thick since they are used to perform heavy-duty operations like cutting slots and grooves into the workpiece.
Depending on the work-load or the type of work the production needs to carry out, milling machines have to be chosen accordingly. Plenty of factors pass through consideration before the final decision is made.
However, if you are looking for a timely boost in production, we at Hi-Tech Machinery Inc., offer you the perfect solution as used manual milling machines and other used CNC equipment. We are internationally recognized, specializing in the acquisition and sales of used CNC, fabricating equipment, metalworking machinery, and complete manufacturing facilities.
The main benefit guaranteed to our customers is the peace of mind that comes with regularly serviced equipment and repurposed machinery that will perform with lasting efficiency. Additionally, investing in a used manual milling machine is budget-friendly when purchased from a reputed dealer like yours truly. Please browse our website and check our current inventory under the category of used milling machines for sale.
For further inquiries regarding used manual milling machines or general concerns, please contact our reliable staff.